Over the last years, I have coordinated and lectured in many advanced academic courses and executive training programmes. I have also supervised several Master theses in the fields of local economic development, urban sustainability, economic geography and innovation studies.
Teaching and course coordination:
2015-2017: Theories and Research Methods in Geography, PhD in Geography, University of Porto. Lecturer.
2014: “Urban Economic Sustainability”, Master in Urban Management and Development (special edition on Sustainable Urbanism), Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies. Guest module director and lecturer.
2011, 2012: “Economics and Urban Policy”, Master in “Planning and Urbanism”, Institute of Geography and Planning, University of Lisbon. Lecturer and co-organiser of the module.
2010-2012: “Sustainable Urban Planning”, Master in “Economics and Urban Management”, School of Economics, University of Porto. Lecturer and module director.
2009: “Urban Management in Europe”, Post-experience Master in Managing the European Metropolitan Region, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Lecturer.
2008-2011: “Managing the Urban Economy”, Post-experience Master in Managing the European Metropolitan Region, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Lecturer and module director.
2007: “Territorial Governance”, Master in Urban and Regional Planning, Faculty of Humanities (Department of Geography), University of Porto, Lecturer.
2007: “Municipal Organisation Models”, Master in Urban and Regional Planning, Faculty of Humanities (Department of Geography), University of Porto, Co-organizer of the module.
2016-2020: “The territorial spread of pandemic diseases and innovation processes for new medicines” (PhD thesis of Thiago Monteiro Mendes, FCT national PhD grant holder, University of Porto)
2016-2020: “Innovation in planning practices in Porto and Lisbon: technology and civic involvement in urban management” (PhD thesis on Catarina Maia, FCT national PhD grant holder, University of Porto, 2017-2021)
Other Theses supervision
I supervised Bachelor and Master theses on the following topics:
- “The architectural design innovation system of Rotterdam” (Master thesis of D. Sattarova, Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 2011-2012)
- “The temporary event and cluster of Art Galleries in Miguel Bombarda district” (Master thesis of N. Ladeira, Faculty of Economics, University of Porto, 2011-2012)
- “Managing Porto’s new night economy” (Master thesis of S. Pinto, Faculty of Economics, University of Porto, 2011-2012)
- “Organising Capacity for Sustainable Urban Planning: riverside project in Coimbra” (Master thesis of I. Santos, Faculty of Economics, University of Porto, 2010-2011)
- “The development of PlanIT Valley in Paredes: governance challenges”, (Master thesis of J.B. Campus, Faculty of Economics, University of Porto, 2010-2012)
- “The urban rehabilitation cluster in the North of Portugal” (Master thesis of T. Braga, Faculty of Economics, University of Porto, 2010-2011)
- “Clusters and Cluster policies: Torino Wireless in Piedmont, Italy” (Master thesis of C. de Poli, Erasmus University Rotterdam and Bocconi University, Milan, 2009)
- “The role of diaspora networks in Romenian ICT clusters” (Master thesis of Z. Kelemen, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 2009)
- “The shipbuilding industry in Rotterdam” (Bachelor thesis of F. den Hartogh and H. Tekin, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 2007)
Invited lectures and seminars in other Universities:
- University of Lisbon, Institute of Social Sciences (ICS)/Lisbon School of Economics and Management, PhD programme in Development Studies, on “transitions, innovation and urban development”, Lisbon, March 2018.
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), 16thInternational Forum on Urban Competitiveness, on “Housing and the City”, Mexico City, February 2018.
- University of Porto, Department of Geography, final lecture-debate of the MSc in Cities and Spatial Planning, December 2017.
- El Colegio de México, Centre of Demographic, Urban and Environmental Studies, 15th International forum on urban competitiveness on “cities in a global context”, Mexico City, May 2017.
- Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology (EAWAG), workshop on “Beyond territorial innovation models? Conceptualizing the new geographies of innovation, valuation and transition”, Zurich, February 2017
- SPRU (Science Policy Research Unit), University of Sussex, COST action seminar on “Beyond Experiments: understanding how climate governance innovations become embedded”, April 2016
- University of Porto, Department of Geography, on “New Frontiers of the Digital Economy in Cities”, 2015
- University of Porto, School of Economics, on “Knowledge Economy and the Geography of Innovation”, 2014
- University of Coimbra, School of Economics, on “Knowledge Economy in medium-sized cities of the Atlantic Rim”, 2013
- University of Porto, Department of Geography, on “Knowledge locations in cities”, 2012
- École des Ingénieurs de la Ville de Paris (EIVP), on “The development of a new sustainable town in the North of Portugal”, GREMI-T workshop, Paris, 2012.
- Catholic University of Porto, School of Business and Management, on “Locations for knowledge and creativity”, Master in Managing Creative Industries (yearly since 2011)
- Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, Department of Economics, on “Knowledge Locations in cities”, Master in International Economics and Business (yearly since 2011).
- Breda University of Applied Sciences (NHTV), on “Cities in Knowledge Economy”, minor in Urban Management, 2010.
- University of Porto, Department of Geography, on “New frontiers and crossroads in Economic Geography”, PhD programme in Human Geography, 2008.
- Institute of Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS), on “Local Economic Development Tools”, Master in Urban Management and Development, 2008 and 2009.
- Erasmus University Rotterdam, on “Strategic Planning for Cities and Regions”, Master in Urban Management, 2007, 2008 and 2009.
Executive training and education:
- “Local Development” module in the executive course on Local Public Management (GEPAL), for middle managers and department directors, CEFA – Centre of Studies in Local Government Education. Lecturer and coordinator of the module (42 participants x 18h x 4 Portuguese cities), 2011-2014
- “Training Scheme in Integrated and Sustainable Urban Development for local elected representatives” (URBACT II, DG REGIO, Brussels). Co-organizer of the programme (with Willem van Winden), speaker and moderator/facilitator in three 2-full day seminars in Brussels, with 30 local elected representatives (Mayors, alderman, counselors) from all over Europe. 2013
- “Coaching and Training activity in Cluster Management”, KNOW CITIES network, INTERREG IVB. Development of the reference framework and 2-day face-to-face coaching with local economic development officers in Seville and San Sebastian (Spain). 2012
- “Crash-course in cluster policy”, for senior cluster managers, Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences and the Amsterdam Innovation Motor. 2012
- “Strategic Planning and Economic Development”, module on “Local Development Projects”, for middle managers and heads of department of 6 Municipalities in the North of Portugal (VALIMAR, Municipal Association). 2007
- “INOVJOVEM – Young professionals fostering innovation in SMEs”, module on “Social and Economic Culture”, Portuguese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (AEP). Lecturer, average 15 participants x 21groups, total 168 lecturing hours. 2006
- “European Cohesion Policy and the Community Support Framework”, course for middle managers and heads of department. IGAP – Portuguese Institute for Management and Public Administration. 2006
- “European Regional Policy 2007-2013 and Community Support Framework in Portugal”, for middle managers and heads of department. IGAP – Portuguese Institute for Management and Public Administration. 2006